Sunday 13 September 2015

On and Off…The Road That Is

Okay, so I am seriously behind with my blog, my apologies. I am going to try to catch-up with a posts that will unfortunately have to sweep over many little adventures, but I must get this more current, soonest. I do have three valid excuses. Firstly I have been having so much fun riding the KLR that given the choice of sitting in front of a computer screen and typing or riding until after sunset, and the sun does set pretty late here in summer, then riding it is. Secondly although summer is supposed to be a slow time in Canada, I have been hellishly busy at work, and as we all know, paying the piper is what keeps the tune going. Thirdly I have spent the last few weeks in DIY hell, hardly riding and definitely not writing. The planned simple little updating of the small downstairs bathroom ended up in complete re-do.

I set out with the idea that I could pull out the old shower, install one of these fiberglass walls and glass door jobs over the existing horrid tiles in the shower area, half tile the rest of the place, pop in a nice vanity, change some light fittings and paint the top half of the walls, trim and doors. Bob’s your uncle, a one weekend job…tops. Ha- bloody-ha, I’ve worked my balls off and still haven’t painted the trim. In project management speak, it’s called scope-creep. The shower I liked and bought came with instructions that did not go along with my idea, it demanded, unreasonably I thought, the removal of the drywall completely and the addition of extra studs and braces. Of course the new drain did not line up with the existing drain, so that cost a whole lot of sweat, tears and plumbing. The dust and mess generated was quite out of proportion to the small amount of drywall removed, which made me the unpopular guy of the moment. Then half-tiling seemed, well half-assed, so it’s now floor to ceiling with a row of little mosaic tiles in the middle to break the monotony. Tiling is a way tougher job than the YouTube videos make it out to be, and messier, much messier, much, much messier. I bought a cheap $100 wet saw courtesy of Chinese sweat-shop labor, which made the tile cutting at least bearable. I’m also a person that does not like to work with gloves on, but when my fingertips got down to raw flesh, I decided to overcome that silly little prejudice. Then we thought that a corner toilet would be just the thing to save a little space and assumed, foolishly as it turned out, that the existing plumbing would work fine…another drain that had to be moved, really nasty this one. Lots of plumbing and all to do with the crappier side of the water system, kept having to remind myself of the plumbers creed, “Shit runs downhill and never bite your fingernails.” Actually by now I was seriously into wearing gloves. Three weekends, including a long weekend and a day’s vacation and nearly every evening later and the job is just about done. Most of the mess is cleared, the new light and extractor fan are still to be installed and as mentioned a bit of painting to do, but I must confess that I am proud and thrilled with the result, just would like a bit of my life back that it cost me.

Anyway this is not a DIY blog, so I’d better move on to the motorcycling thing. Having now tried riding a bit on dirt roads and a brief, unpleasant, but fortunately not disastrous attempt to ride a real trail, I realize that I lack the skills necessary to ride on anything except the pavement (even then I sometimes wonder, which is perhaps why I call this blog the ‘Not-so-Easy-Rider’). I decide to remedy this or at least mitigate it a little and book a one day course with SMART Adventures in Horseshoe Valley, just north of Barrie, http://www.smartadventures.ca/motorcycle.html . I leave home at 7.30 am a.m. it’s a hot midsummer Saturday and even at this early hour there is a fair amount of cottage traffic on the north bound roads, and Horseshoe Valley is firmly in cottage country. Still I get there in time to get the kit on before introductions and a lecture. SMART Adventures supply the full kit, pants, kneepads, top, elbow pads, funky plastic boots, funkier chest armour, gloves, helmet, goggles and a cloth thingy to cover the head, supposedly for hygiene purposes. I hadn’t expected all this stuff, and really hope that the clothing bits have seen a good solid cycle in a washing machine since the last guy wore them, guess a few cooties won’t kill a chap.


The Not-So-Easy Rider in Storm Trooper Disguise 

The morning session is spent on their bikes, in my case a 250 cc Yamaha dirt bike. It’s very high, even more so than the KLR, so it’s a struggle a with my short legs, but once on all is good, well almost, the boots are very hard and I can’t actually feel the gear lever, that’s going to take some getting used to.  We are also shown that dirt bike riding you do seated as close to the gas tank as possible, it feels weird and makes gear changes even more difficult, but as soon as you hit the trail the wisdom of this is apparent, the weight is in the right place and the control improvement is apparent. In my group there is about six of us and the instructor. The initial few hours is spent teaching us some techniques, braking on slippery ground , cornering through soft sand, going over obstacles, controlled slow speed traversing of rough terrain (like ploughed up fields) using clutch and throttle control and going up and down hills. It’s tough and tiring, but a huge amount of fun. After a short water and pee break we spend a few hours on a relatively easy (so I am told) trail through a forest, we also get to do a few circuits on a motocross course, fun, but I do manage to come off. Too much acceleration to get out of a slide around a corner, then when the wheels grip I shoot up the bank as if I’m riding a rocket and the reason for the funky chest armor becomes clear, my ribs hurt, but not nearly as much as they might have. What would such a day be unless I fell at least once?

By 12.30 we are back at the ‘base’ and lunch, which is not included in the $299 I paid for the day. I’d ordered a baby spinach salad with grilled salmon for about $14, not sure where it came from, perhaps from the Horseshoe Valley Golf Club, but it is pretty decent with goat cheese, pecans, dried cranberries and a nice creamy vinaigrette. My companions from the morning do not stay for lunch, apparently they had only booked for the morning session, from my group I am the sole candidate for the afternoon ride. They give me a choice of more of the same on their bikes or milder trails and dirt roads on mine, a difficult choice, it was really fun, although a bit scary doing the real dirt bike stuff, but I want to get a feel for what I can do on the KLR. I chose to ride my bike and also decided to give up the Star Wars Storm Troopers outfit in favor of my own jeans, mesh jacket and beloved softer boots. A youngish couple with two small children arrive and start speaking Afrikaans as soon as they hear my accent – that seems to be the common response here when finding a fellow South African, it’s nice, like showing a membership cards of a small exclusive club, only it’s not terribly exclusive. Their son that is getting lessons on a dirt bike. I shit you not, but kids are learning to ride little 80 cc bikes as young as five.  



Clinton Smout of SMART Adventures 

My mentor for the afternoon is Clinton Smout, an old timer, born in the same good year of 1959 as me. Clinton is a small wiry guy who has spent most of his life riding dirt bikes in the summer and skidoos in the winter, a life well spent I’ll say, damn side more fun that sailing the wide accountancy as I have done, he is also the proprietor of SMART Adventures. As promised we do some light trails in the forest and I get to appreciate that my KLR is not entirely designed for the really rough stuff. It is a load more versatile then a cruiser and can take me places that your average Harley couldn’t dream of going, but I’m not going to ride through mud holes and sandpits, phew that’s a relief, didn’t want to! Clinton teaches me some pretty good tricks to take on steep inclines, up and down, on gravel. We end the afternoon at a café in Craighurst for coffee and a slice of strawberry and rhubarb pie, we chew the fat for about an hour. Clinton is shortly to embark on a motorcycle tour of The Cape Province in SA and Namibia, so naturally I point him at the numerous posts on this blog from that part of the world. I hope he has a wonderful trip… and hope he tries the apple crumble in Solitaire. The day was definitely worth it, but I am still a rank beginner, at least I know a little bit of what I don’t know.




Nice easy trail, perfect for KLR and me

I have joined the ONTARIO FEDERATION OF TRAIL RIDERS, or OFTR, which gives me the privilege of riding trails in designated forest areas, not too many as it turns out and finding the allowed areas seems to be somewhat of a challenge. There are a bunch of clubs that I can join and indeed have joined two, but there seems to be not that much going on for someone that does not want to get into the serious trails, enduro/dual sports riders are definitely the wimps in this game. I have found that I like going down the back roads, just as I like taking the nicely paved twisty roads, it’s about a bit of variety. I know that I can take this bike across a continent, or down one, and deal with the sort of roads I came across in Namibia, at the same time I can ride the motorways and hold my own, albeit with a bit of a sweat if I want to get up to 140 km/h. Which brings me to another little advantage that the KLR has, I find that I am a much more law abiding citizen than I used to be. The Boulevard needed to go 140 before you managed to get much of a thrill, the KLR gives you that at 100, wonderful, my chances of 5 demerit points for speeding are so much diminished!


I do, however, suspect that my membership of the Old Farts Brigade (OFB) has been terminated. To be clear I still am an old fart, there is no choice concerning this, you either are or you are not, and the ‘old fart’ tag you get, like it or not, when you turn 50. Now I know that there are many old farts out there that will protest that this label is not valid and they feel as young as they did when they were 25, but catch your kids in an honest moment and you’ll discover the nasty truth, the day you turned 50 you became one. But being an old fart does not necessarily qualify you as a member of the OFB, you need a grey beard (I’m good with that, have worn a goatee for more than a decade, and it is more salt then pepper), and you must ride a cruiser preferably a Harley, or at the very least a 1000cc enduro. My green and purple KLR definitely does not qualify, it is a young mans’ bike, training wheels maybe. I know that this is the bike I should have bought when I started out, it’s fun, easy to ride and versatile, but not permitted in the OFB.


Deer in Algonquin 

When I bought the KLR it had 18,000 km on the clock, as I put it away this afternoon it has very nearly 24,000. I must admit that it is difficult to account for these kilometers. I have done a few decent trips, but none that involved staying overnight. There was Algonquin, that was 700 km in one day which included a few rides down gravel roads which were great and I did get to see a deer which was exciting. Okay admittedly deer are not exactly an endangered species, for my SA readers, it’s a bit like getting excited at seeing impala in the Kruger Park. Then I have ridden to Wiarton on the
Bruce Peninsula, home of Wiarton Willie the foremost Canadian groundhog that predicts the start date of spring, (just let me catch that little fucker for extending last winter!) In any event that was a pretty decent ride and confirmed my suspicion that there is a lot more to see on the Bruce Peninsula than highway 6 and Tobermory, the peninsula is definitely worth a couple of nights stay over to get to see it all properly. Of course I have ridden all the local routes that I have grown to love, Hockley Valley, Forks of Credit, Muskoka route 6, Provincial road 118, Kawartha Lakes, Kawartha Highlands, Musselman’s Lake and Eudora via the hamlet of Zephyr village. I have varied my old favorite rides by just turning down gravel side roads to see where I end up and one of the best things is I can avoid the weekend cottage traffic jams by riding in the general direction I want to go following side roads, no problem at all and I get to see things I otherwise would not have.


Some of the places I've been:



Kinmount, Kawatha Highlands - Saturday morning fair


Hockley Valley Road


Bruce Peninsula 


Musicians on Sidewalk Washago 



Historic Main Street Schomberg 


Dorset, Muskoka 


Algonquin 

Although I have ridden the route the Boulevard died on (a really lovely route with fabulous twisty bits, follow Sideroad 10 west from Mansfield, careful through the 180 degree corner I crashed on, then turn right on to Prince of Wales Road and then take River Road through Terra Nova) I can’t quite say that I have climbed back on as I haven’t done a group ride again. I decide to sign up for a Wednesday evening ride with the group, The Rolling Thunder Riders, http://www.meetup.com/RollingThunderRiders/. They are a nice group of guys and gals and I get greeted like a long lost pal, instead of the a-hole that crashed the first time he rode with them, I am sure that they are just being polite. The meeting point is outside of Thornton, which is also the ending point where the group have a late supper at a pizza place. Tonight all the riders are on sport bikes or cruisers, except yours truly on the green and purple machine, oh well I should be able to keep up. The leader tonight is Crystal, who founded the group with her husband Josh. Crystal leads the way, a winding route north that eventually goes past Craighurst and Horseshoe Valley, where I did the one day off-road course, and we end up in Orillia where we stop for a break before heading back to Thornton. It is a really fabulous route, but I find that I am not enjoying the ride entirely as much as I should. Somehow the group riding dynamic is making me nervous, as I said once before, riding in a group requires a skill set that I don’t have. It’s to do with concerning yourself with the other riders, where are they and you must ride to accommodate the group, ride at a speed that matches the group, and then there is the slinky effect. It’s not that I ride slowly when I ride alone or get overly anxious on corners, I managed to get over my cornering fears post-accident relatively quickly, but I find that riding in the group it has returned, it really is weird.

It is getting dark when we reach Orillia, and a little later than expected, I make some sums and realize that it will be quite late when supper is over and the weather forecast predicts mist. Several of the riders indicate that they will split from the group on route back. The group is following Old Barrie Road, but I make the signal that I’m leaving as we cross Highway 400, and take the 400, I’m home in just under an hour. I’m not sure about whether or not I’ll carry on with group rides, maybe leave it for the rest of the season and try again next year. It’s nice to ride in a group, the social aspect is good and getting to ride new routes is really great, but then there are aspects that I prefer riding on my own. I like to ride at my own pace, to choose the speed I am comfortable with and when I want to stop and smell the hummus, then a stop. Somehow I have more confidence when I’m riding alone and make fewer mistakes, maybe I’m just a bit of a lone ranger… I tend to be a loner with everything else, so perhaps it’s the same with motorcycling.


Well the riding season is not over yet and officially it is still summer, but the leaves are turning, the days are shorter and the last ride I did I had to stop to zip in the lining of my mesh jacket. Maybe I can still do a decent trip with a stay over, maybe squeeze a long weekend this year still, but I’m not going to do the cross continent ride I had hoped to this summer, oh well c'est la vie, with some luck there is next year.



No comments:

Post a Comment